The shortest day is always a day of hope, for the days cannot get any shorter.
And also from now on (one hopes):
- the Woos and the Religious cannot surely abuse the legal system any further, with the recent collapse of the Rath case and the final abolition of blasphemy,
- our police cannot surely gain yet more power, whilst we still remain a democracy,
- tabloid journalists can no longer easily invade the private realm, thanks bizarrely to Max Mosley's spanking delights,
- modern "art" cannot surely get more faddy or more reliant on the cliche of being placed in a whitewashed gallery,
- Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld cannot surely further discredit the right of centre, and
- our economy cannot surely get much worse, or our government more in debt.
The daylight hours will now get longer and brighter...