Pages

Thursday, 20 May 2010

The Orwell Prize

I am a little sad not to have won it.

However, I did get this honour instead.

And I got to speak at the ceremony last night with Richard Blair, the son of George Orwell.

I also met last year's winner Night Jack and The Heresiarch, who should have been this year's winner.

(I seem to remember telling Night Jack that there really must be more to blogging than writing about the working class like Theodore Dalrymple...)

Anyway, now that is all over with, back to proper blogging.

And I will leave the last word on my Fail to Obnoxio.

3 comments:

Michael Kingsford Gray said...

Methinks, 'tis nobler to be dubbed by one so esteemed as Sir Crispian, Knight Garter of Reason, 3rd Duke of Ridicule, and Most Royal Piss-Taker to the Prince of the Preserved Province of Homœpathy, in the Baronetcy of Woo, EX23. (Bookings Required for those sans a Peerage)

As "The Old Bill" once wrote:
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother


For surely, 'tis better to be a brother of Sir Crispian, than a knave of Mr. Blair.

(Exits: stage left)

Michael Kingsford Gray said...

(In my sideswipe at "Mr. Blair", I meant the egregious criminal Anthony, of course.)

Peter in Dundee said...

Jack you have indeed been honoured. It has been a while since I last perused the list of your new peers and spent an enjoyable while doing so.

I particularly liked that Simon Singh has been dubbed 'official Skeptical Hero' which I think most appropriate since he has both done battle with the foe and been Victorious.

I would put the honour in your CV if I were you, or your entry in Who's Who.